losing coolant from my cutlass supreme '75

wijker

Hi, i'm Brenda and i drive a cutlass supreme coupe from 1975.

I found out that i have a leak and i'm losing coolant from somewhere in the engine. The coolant is leaking down on the street. (Just between the front tires).

Can someone tell me what's wrong en which part may be broken?

The coolant recovery tank still has coolant in it but i think that the radiator is empty. The oil looks good and has the right level.

Thank you,

(i come from the Netherlands, so excuse my english)

In the location you're talking about, it sounds like the waterpump is leaking. That's pretty common.

On the bottom side of the pump, just below the shaft, is a designed in "Weep hole." The hole is there so water can leak from it when the seal goes bad. If you get uder the car, take a flash light and see if you can see up under the top pulley. Usually you can see the weep hole, or at least a nice little trail of coolant running down. Often, it will run over to the top of the lower hose, and follow the hose down. If the engine is cool, and not to greasy, you can reach under the pulley and feel moisture, if you can get a line of sight to see the hole.

It's even faster to find the leak if you have a pressure tester, then you can put the system under pressure, and duplicate warm running conditions. but if you don't have a pressure tester, use the flashlite, finger test.

Guest Dave Wyatt

One thing to remember, when you have a leak in the cooling system, the recovery tank will most likely remain full as the actual level in the engine drops. This is due to a lack of vacuum on the system as the system cools and draws air in through the leak. If you suspect or know you have a leak, remove the radiator cap (when cool preferably) and check the level in the radiator.

is it possible to drive my car to a garage? It is still parked in front of my house. Someone from my garage confirmed that the waterpump has broken down. Or is it better that the car is towed to a garage? It's a 5 km drive.

Brenda

Guest Dave Wyatt

5 KM isn't very far IIRC. Top off the coolant in the radiator and gently drive it to the shop. As long as it doesn't overheat you will be OK.