Gettin' old - broken shock bracket

WCraigH

I recommend that everybody with a 55-56 Torsion-Level Packard should check their GP 15.992 "Rear support arm & shock absorber bracket assy." Here's what the right one looked like on my 55 Pat yesterday:

RightRearShockBracketBroken.JPG

Removal and repair are straight forward. When removing this plate, you [color:"red"] MUST support with a jack stand the lower torque arm close to the axle [color:"red"] NOT the rear axle tube itself! Supporting it that way will keep the torque arm and axle tube in contact once the U-bolt is loose. Also, spray penetrating fluid on the U-bolt threads and nuts before unbolting. Also unbolt the shock from the plate (at the bottom).

To repair, just weld the two parts back together. Also, grind off the slag where the bracket fits up against the rubber pad(s). In the case above, the bracket edge was bent outward so that had to be "persuaded" back straight.

The left side bracket was split alongside both bolt holes, but it was still more or less in 1 piece. I also removed that one and welded the split back together.

Hint: reattach the rear shock mount before pushing the plate back into place on the U-bolts.

On the Packard Engineering chat the other night, Turbopackman (Eric) stated that the left rear bracket on his 1956 Pat had also broken. He fixed it the same way.

Guest Randy Berger

Reyman, right click on the picture and then choose "save picture as" from the pull-down menu.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Craig -

How can I print the picture of the broken mount? I can copy the text, but not he picture. </div></div>

Try right mouse click, select "Save image as...", choose a hard disc location. Once it's on your local computer, print that image using whatever application (word processor or image viewer) your usually use to print images.