1929 Dodge DA rear wheel torque specs.

pepstrebeck

I have recently received my new wheels from the wheelright and am in the process of finishing them. Once they are finished and I go to re-install them on the car, what should the torque be on the rear wheels? I have posted this question on the Dodge Brothers Forum with no public response, and some off forum responses of "just tighten 'em down."

If anyone could offer some information as to what the wheels should be torqued to the axle, it would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance, Pep.

I have a Model A Ford and there are no original torque specs available

for them either.

I use the standard torque specs found in all the shop manuals for cars in the late 30's & early 40's when torque wrenches started to be used on a regular basis.

A later shop manual or Chilton manual will also include a torque guide that you can use.

Make sure you use the torque spec for the particular grade of bolt that you are using.

If you use the torque value for a high grade bolt on a low grade soft one, you'll snap the bolt.

The shop manual or Chilton manual for a slighlty later model will also give you a good idea of the torqu value that you should be using.

With a little reading & research and some practice you'll soon be comfortable

using your torque wrench.

A torque wrenh should be used on all major chassis & engine components ot get the job done properly.

Thank you for your information. I am however looking for the torque specification for the rear wooden artillery wheels to the axle shaft. These wheels are held on by only one nut, and not by a series of lug nuts. No repair manual that I have been able to locate (Dykes, Chilton, etc.) says anything about this, and couple this with the fact that there were no factory manuals made for the 1929 Dodge DA only compound this problem. Thank you again for your time, help and information it is appreciated.

On my Model A I go by the size and grade of the bolt & nut, then and go to a standard torque chart, for that particular size of fastener.

I would think that your axle shaft & nut would be fairly high grade, and probably hardened, which you can easily check with a file.

For example, the single nut that holds the rear drum, on the axle shaft of the Model A is, if I recall is in the range of 100 ft.lbs.

This is probably similar in size & grade, to the one on your Dodge.

The torque value is dependant only on the size and and grade of the nut and bolt.

Using any standard torque chart, it will be the same for each specific

size & grade of fastener.

Do you have any reason to believe why it should be different for your Dodge.