Surface Rust

Guest BigBlockHead

Guest BigBlockHead

Hi All!

This is my first post here:)

My friend bought and old cadillac with lots of surface rust and I would like to know what is the best way to remove it..?

Markku

post-44937-143137886318_thumb.jpg

That looks too good to be true. I suspect a lot of bits and pieces under an old car are not just rusty but also covered in grease and oil and mud. The illustrations on that website seem to be starting with perfectly clean but rusty components, which doesn't seem realistic to me. Presumably the grime has to come off before you can tackle the rust. I have in mind the chassis members (essentially angle iron) of my Rover. I cannot steam-clean or pressure-wash them because steam/water would come up between the floor-boards, and parts are really not very easy of access (and I have no hoist), but it would be nice to remove the surface rust.

Ken G, 1925 Rover 16/50 (San Francisco)

You are right the grime has to come off, the grime will shorten the life of the remover extremly fast and the results are bad. The grime can be taken off with the degreaser from the same company though.

The rust being the easiest to remove, is the one that develops on metal when new and doesn't deteriorate more after that. Rusted cast iron comes out as new, the same goes for pressed rusted parts, nuts, bolts and screws. All need to be sub merged for 24 hour in the Remover for the best result.

Heavy rust is difficult it becomes less, but doesn't disappear completely as I learned.

You can shower the bigger parts for 24 hour and they de rust well, but the damp

from this action will be every were. The rear axle de rusting showed me this,

it came out clean but the garage was a disaster after 24 hour spraying.I had under estimated that.Another lesson learned.

Perhaps this helps Johan