Electrical Problem??

I own a '89 Reatta. Lately when I have been driving the car the yellow colored words electrical problem pop on, on the dash. This message tends to flicker or it doesn't stay on very long. Sometimes it just flashes once and I never see it again for the whole trip. It happened last night while I was driving. My headlights didn't go out. It didn't seem to affect the way the car drove and as far as I could tell everything was working. I have a shop manual, but I don't have any idea what I should be looking under to know why this light is coming on. If anyone has any ideas I'd really apreciate your help. Thanks.

Check the system for codes like Brenda said. If you have codes then follow the manual for that code. <P>Otherwise look under Charts B-1, B-2, B-3, etc. computer system dignoses section 8-D(in a 88 manual it's page 48 of section 8D. It Those pages will expain what might be happening. The light means there is a comunication problem between the different computers. You better off if you can wait till the light comes on to try to figure it out. Otherwise everything might check out ok.<P>Tom