ARE OTHER GM MASS AIR FLOW SENSORS COMPATIBLE WITH THE 1990 REATTA?

Hi Folks!<BR> Looks like I am trying to compare the MAFS, and wonder if the other MAF's from the other 3800 series would be compatible with the 1990 Reatta's. <BR>I went to a local dealership parts counter, and found out that this part for the 1990 Reatta is DISCONTINUED, hence the reason I am searching for equivalents.<P>many thanks<P>Prakash

I replaced the MAF on my '89 a year ago. Cost was $197, PN 24502966 in an AC Delco box. Unit is Hitachi, made in Japan.<P>Should be the same 1988 up GM 3.8 V6. If the MAF is suspect, it can be checked by tapping with a screwdriver and noting an engine miss. With 1988-89 the screen display will show output voltage. Or you can connect a scope across the output of the MAF and note an AC signal related to air flow. If the MAF is bad, taping the unit with a screwdriver handle will cause the output voltage to flutter. If the output is lost for too long, like 1/2 second, a code will set. Been there, done that.

Don't bother tapping, these sensors don't fail that way. That's the older style AC system located in the air duct. Go into diagnostics on the CRT, look for ECM data, find MAF. Idle readings should be 6-8 g/s, but the most accurate test is at wide open throttle at the 1-2 shift. should be above 100g/s, but I'll admit this may be abusive to a car that doesn't run right. I think I read where you sprayed something through the air inlet. What was it? Remove the MAF and inspect the sensing wires, look for signs of burns. Gm part # for 1990 bonneville(exact same drivetrain) is 24502966. For some reason, the GM parts book doesn't list a MAF for the Reatta that year. Oops. It wasn't discontinued.

The GM part # is 25532799 for a 88-90 Reatta MAF sencer. 91's are a different number. The number may have been superceded to a new one. I can't believe GM no longer has this part avaliable. You shouldn't have a problem getting it from a local parts store. Mine was bad last year and a few parts stores had it in stock. <P>Tom

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bigrog:<BR><B>Don't bother tapping, these sensors don't fail that way. That's the older style AC system located in the air duct. Go into diagnostics on the CRT, look for ECM data, find MAF. Idle readings should be 6-8 g/s, but the most accurate test is at wide open throttle at the 1-2 shift. should be above 100g/s, but I'll admit this may be abusive to a car that doesn't run right. I think I read where you sprayed something through the air inlet. What was it? Remove the MAF and inspect the sensing wires, look for signs of burns. Gm part # for 1990 bonneville(exact same drivetrain) is 24502966. For some reason, the GM parts book doesn't list a MAF for the Reatta that year. Oops. It wasn't discontinued.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Hi,<BR>the Reatta is a 1990 Convertible, and it has only got 25K miles, one previous owner from new. The engine turns and trys to start, but back fires and sometimes starts, and sometimes won't start. When entered the Tech mode via the OFF and holding down the Temp UP keys, the codes flash as: E034H, and all the other codes are ok. When I looked in the Service Manual, the E034H pointed me in the MAFS direction, however, when the car decides to start it runs and drives very smooth. I am not really sure that the mafs should go within such low mileage. Yes, I did spray a throttle body spray, when the car came to life, and I drove it for a few days, but am afraid to drive it anymore, until I am convinced that the problem is resolved.<BR>I have already replaced a set of new plugs, new K&N air filter, as well as a new Sears Die Hard Battery.<BR>The previous owner had a new Fuel Pump and the ECM, as well as an O2 sensor replaced a month before I purchased the vehicle from last November 2000.<BR>I really appreciate any help I can get to get this baby working right.<P>many thanks<P>P