63 Starfire Trailing Arm Bushings and Steering Box

RASCARS

Happy Holidays Olds Fans!!

My seemingly never ending restoration of my 63 Starfire coupe has brought two new challenges.

The first challenge deals with trailining arm bushings. I have purchased two sets-one "nos" and a second from the local NAPA store. Both sets have a 1/2 inch whole in the center with a metal sleeve for the bolt to pass through to the mounting brackets on the chassis. The challenge is the old bushings (presumably original) have a 5/8 inch pass through hole. I have called USA Parts, Fusick and Kanter as well as local parts stores with no luck.

Any suggestions as to where I might find these bushings with a 5/8 inch hole or do anyone know a place that will make up a set of bushings to fit?

Challenge Two:

I need a rebuilt steering box or a rebuild kit for my box. Again, the usual phones calls to USA, Kanter and Fusick as well as the local parts stores turned up nothing.

Anyone know where I might find a rebuilt steering box or a rebuild kit?

Any and all suggestions are welcome

Thank you for all your help

Bob confused.gif

RASCARS

for the suspension pieces, try www.rareparts.com. I haven't tried them myself, but I've read about them in quite a few restoration magazine articles. For the steering box, theres a running ad in the Olds Club of America magazine for www.powersteering.com, they say they do rebuilds and upgrades. Let me know how it works out, I've got the same car and potentially the same troubles someday!

Peter cool.gif

There was a complete set of NOS bushings on eBay a long time ago. That's the only set I've ever seen. After my NOS front lower bushings only lasted about 100 miles, I don't have much faith in NOS rubber anyway. Never tried aftermarket.

I had my gearbox done by Steer & Gear in Columbus, OH. They can do a standard rebuild or a "firm feel" rebuild. They send a unit in advance, you send the core back.

Paul

• 3 months later...

I have received and installed the rebuilt steering box from Powerstreering.com and I installed the CUSTOM made trailing arm bushings from Rare Parts.

I could not be happier with their service and the quality of work

I received.

Thank you again for your recommendations!!

HAppy Oldsmobiling!! grin.gif