Diesel Mufflers Quiet or LOUD?

78Madallion318

Hello, I am curious, will a long (30") diesel muffler help with better flow, and quiet my dual exhaust? I will be going to dual exhaust on my 78 Diplomat Madallion 318 soon. I will stick with iron manifolds. With iron manifolds I will probably get 3". I wish to get good mufflers. I fear that flowmasters will be too loud, for a cruiser. I have read, also, that flowmasters accomidate the high rpm range and might extract some low end torque. I have read that the best thing is to find the longest muffler you can get. I think this would preserve the Low end torque. Much like the SonoRam having to have longer ram tubes to boost the mid RPM's torque, long mufflers would help equalize back pressure at the desired RPM levels. Just my opionion from what I have read and concluded (theory). What do you think is best for my criteria? Will a long diesel muffler work? Thanks for all of your help.

• 1 month later...

A few things you have wrong with your plans. Number one you can not use a three inch exhaust pipe on an exhaust manifold made for two and a quarter inch tube. You must use two and a quarter inch tubing. Second you will never get a thirty inch long muffler under your car in the stock location . I've been doing this since 1977 I know what I'm saying. If you want to get a nice tone and better performance have your local muffler guy build you a two and a quarter "X" pipe and use Magna Flow mufflers and two and a quarter inch tail pipes. The sound is deep and mellow and it wouldn't drive you crazy. Take care Bryan