manifold question

Guest Randy Berger

Guest Randy Berger

The straight eight manifolds from 48 through 54 were bolted together and there was a heat chamber from the exhaust manifold that allowed heat up into the intake manifold. The parts book does not show any gasket between the two, but it looks as though there had to be one. Is anyone familiar enough with this arrangement to comment whether a gasket was present or not?

I have taken a couple apart and have not found any sign of a gasket in either one, but a little high temp silicone would not hurt, I think they are just a close tolerance fit, but you have to be careful and tighten the manifold's to the block with the three bolts slightly loose so no undue strain is put on the manifolds.

When I last bought a gasket set it came with the "hot spot" gasket which I did use on mine. Seems like you might get an exhaust leak there without one and I fiqured it didn't hurt to use it.

Guest Randy Berger

Thanks for the input JT. It is confusing. Maybe Packard machined those for a tight fit and felt they no longer needed the gasket or they redesigned the chambers so it wasn't required.