A Stude down under in N.Z

kiwi_stude

Hi, a couple friends and I have brought this old Studebaker and we're trying to gather info on its history.

Body number is EU-W 14192

Engine in car U15204

Spare Engine U14201

We're not sure when the car was imported to New Zealand.

On the dash is a plate saying the body was built by Studebaker.

We know the rear section of the body has since been replaced and was converted to a butcher's van in the 1950's, before being used as a farm hack.

We'd like to find out the year and model type.

Also the spec's of both engines.

Studebakers are pretty rear in New Zealand, so info can be hard to find.

If you could help in any way, your thought's would be gratefully received.

Cheers

Gordon

The information you gave translates as follows:

1927 Standard Six, 4 Door Sedan

There should be a chassis serial number behind the left front wheel on the frame. The serial number for this car will be between 1,346,001 ? 1,410,000. The engine serial numbers are EU 1 to EU 65,800

On your body plate the ?EU? is for the 1927 Standard Six model, the ?W? stands for a 4 door sedan, and the 14192 is means this is the 14,192nd EU 4 door body built by Studebaker in this series.

Note: I have corrected this message because my first reply gave some incorrect information. It is a shame when you get older and the bi-focals don't focuse as well as they should.

Hello Gordon:

My prewar identification books all indicate that 1927 "EU" models were the 241.6 cubic inch 50 HP six cylinder cars with 3-3/8" bore x 4-1/2" stroke.

Your chassis serial number will tell whether it is called a "Standard Six" between 1,346,101 and 1,380,940 (Early) or "Dictator Six" 1,380,941 to 1,410,000 (Late). The wheel base should measure 113". There were some manufactured in Canada with serial # 1,954,401 to 1,956,277.

Engine numbers range from EU-1 to 65,800, so you can gauge how early or late it is in production unless the engine has been changed over the years by previous owners. Stude8