Custom or Original

Guest magrahamkp08

Guest magrahamkp08

Sort of an odd topic to post, but i am looking for some help. I have to presnet an argument whether to when restoring a car to customize it or keep it original. budget would no be a factor. Just wanted to get your guys input.

I don't think there is ever a valid reason to customise an old vehicle, especially if it is one of a limited number remaining. However, I do think it is a good idea to upgrade components if doing so increases safety and/or performance, but does not alter the appearance of the vehicle in any way, and that includes under the hood.

I think this decision needs to be addressed from several angles: first, this depends on what sort of car it is. If it is a rare car, then by all means, keep it as original as possible. Second, if you're in this to make money on the car, a nicely built (but expensive) hot rod will bring you more money than a nicely restored original. (Hot-rodded 40 Fords fetch a good $60K when a well-restored original pulls in $30K). Are you going to drive the car or putter around to local shows? Custom cars are often more driveable with a modern drivetrain and brakes. And lastly, what would make you happier? 'Cause really, that's what really matters.

I've got a '67 Chrysler 300 convertible, one of maybe 1,400 built. I guess it's kinda rare and it was equipped to be like the 300 letter cars were. Now, I intend to DRIVE the car, maybe go to a show occaisionaly but I'm not looking for any trophies there. It is a very nice car (not completly, but maybe 80% restored) but my idea is to equip it so that it is something I can drive and enjoy out on the hiways and byways of today's world. If that means changing or improving something rather than sticking with a stock part or component, I'm all for it. I DO keep all my original stuff so that the car can be returned to original condition easily. My 2 cents.