Help identify mystery valve covers

Guest bjr

Guest imported_bjr

Can someone see if these valve covers will fit the early Stude V8 engines? I bought at a swap meet labeled Nailhead Buick, they don't fit! The outside measurment of where the gasket sits in the covers is 19.5 X 4.5 inches, the two bolts that hold the valve cover to the head are 11 5/8 center to center. There are no markings inside or outside that I can find to ID them. All sides are straight, not wavy so they are not Chrysler. If not Stude any ideas? Thanks Brian

Sounds loke this is in the wrong Forum - as the Stude V8 didn't come out until 1951. Had you considered going down to a friendly auto parts store during a slack time period and just compare rocker arm gaskets?

As I remember it, the early Stude V8 rocker arm covers (say '51 to about '58)were each secured by four hold-down studs while the later ones (about '59 to '64) were essentially identical but with only two hold-down holes each.

Royer

nagel101044@aol.com

Guest stude8

The early Stude V8's had no oil filler caps on the rocker covers that used 4 hold down studs. The later 1963 & up had oil filler caps on each cover so those in photo don't match either application. Stude8