Need help 1990 Reatta,Odometer displays ERROR Along with Electrical Problems

1990 Reatta Coupe: Dash is blank except for <BR>ERROR message along with ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS.<BR>My manual shows that is a loss of serial<BR>data.Advice needed on how to repair. Thanks.

Hi,<BR> I have had a similar incident, and have had to replace the IPC, though after a couple of months the newly acquired IPC is failing too.<BR>If you find out the verdict, I 'd like to know.<BR>Cheers!<P>Prakash

I hope for your sake it is'nt the dash! The 2nd owner of my car replaced the dash of around $550.00! Find a Buick dealer, ask if there is anyone familiar with late 80's early 90's Riviera's and ask him. Or, pull up the codes on your cars computer, and start with that.

Try reseating the connector on the rear of the IPC by crawling under the steering column and look for the connector at the rear. You must remove the cover panel below the steering column and it's no fun wedging yourself below that area, but try pushing the connector toward the IPC further. It cured the problem I was having.<P>------------------<BR>Hal, btk@vbe.com

Oddly enough the same time of thing occurred this morning on the way to work. This time the alternator stopped charging after running through a large puddle,(heavy rains), and as the electrical system lost voltage the displays gave me the electrical error and the cluster finally went dead. Shortly after, the fuel pump quit as I was pulling into work. In my case the output wire at the rear of the alternator was slightly loose. I pulled the alternator and had it tested (125 amps @ 12.5 volts), but I replaced it anyway as it had 93k on it and the plastic around the output stud had slightly melted. The point is, if the system voltage isn't up to snuff, it will give all sorts of errors. The voltage indicator had been running in the center of the gauge until this morning, even though it looks like it had been loose for some time, allowing a slow discharge of the battery.<P>------------------<BR>Hal, btk@vbe.com