purpose of spring around front brake drum?

Guest imported_pete324rock

Guest imported_pete324rock

Can anyone enlighten me on the purpose of the spring around the outer of the front brake drum on '56 olds- maybe others. Maybe I used to know the answer but has since slipped my mind-something to do with static electicity maybe??? thanks pete

• 4 months later...

I tend to agree with the idea the spring is there to dampen harmonic resonance (vibration). I had read this somewhere, some time ago. Evidently, applying the brakes under certain conditions (acumulated dust on brake shoes, inside drum, dampness, and so forth) could excite the natural frequency at which the drum would vibrate (resonate). The spring would add mass that would tend to shift the harmonic frequency away from that which would be activated under certain braking situations/conditions. Hoe his helps.

Guest Silverghost

I believe that the above post is correct!!! It is there to eliminate Brake Squeal and the ringing sound that results...sort of like a high pitched bell-like sound... Think about it ...Hit a bell...then put a spring or rubber band around it...Sound is soon canceled out by the spring!!! This was used on many drum brake cars over the years...

It may also aid in cooling...BUT this is not the true reason it was used!!!