Brake failure repaired for $290.00

I'm happy to relate that my brakes have been repaired at $290.00 as opposed to Buicks estimate of $3000. $150.00 for parts and <BR>remainder for towing and labor.<P>It had a leaking accumalator.<P>Anyone wanting details can email me at <BR>jtaylor@cartbean.com and I will share what<BR>I learned from a very knowledgable and honest auto man.<P>

Guest wally888

Great-Why don't you run tests on it now that brakes work.Post results.If you had tested earlier we might have saved you money and worry

Wow! I'm very happy for you. You and I had the same failure, if I recall correctly. I wish I'd found a way to get mine repaired for such a low cost. It just goes to show that GM needs to get the word out to their dealers that Reattas with failed ABS need not end up with $3000 repair estimates. You're repair was less than 10% of what the dealer was trying to gouge me for! I guess I can't fault them for "playing it safe" but it sure would be nice if GM took this as an indication that their mechanics aren't necessarily giving customers correct info.<BR>

What is the part number of the accumulator? My dealer replaced 2724865 as part of another repair (description says "ACCUMULAT 9.195" is this the same part? Price was 95.89. My dash still shows ABS light when I apply the brakes, but brakes seem more supple than before.

Assuming that yours is a Teves system (1988-1990), the part # for the accumulator is 25528382. Price varies with source - $175+ from dealers to ~$75 online.

Guest wally888

S Now that accumulator didn't fix yellow light on, try replacing main relay-$8, at Advanced auto parts # MR 116 and have you tested system as per post on board?

Sobesoft......I just realized that your part number for the accumulator was 7 digits, not 8. This sounds like an A/C accumulator P/N, not brakes. You might want to check on that!<BR>Good Luck