Production dates from serial numbers

OK, this might be an easy one or a hard one...

Is there anyone out there who has or knows of a database or resource that will allow a guy to pin-point the production date of his early Ford/Lincoln/Mercury vehicle to the exact day or month? I understand Henry's serial number system was rather vague until about 1949 or so and there is debate regarding production numbers, etc...but if anyone knows of a resource I'd certainly appreciate it.

If there is no such thing, I may try to build a calculator that extrapolates an estimated production month. My purpose is to help us in date scripting our customers glass orders. In order to do that, I'd need a breakdown of the serial numbers by year and each production year starting and ending dates. If anyone knows of a resource for this info I'd appreciate it.

Thanks! Tyler

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK, this might be an easy one or a hard one...

Is there anyone out there who has or knows of a database or resource that will allow a guy to pin-point the production date of his early Ford/Lincoln/Mercury vehicle to the exact day or month? I understand Henry's serial number system was rather vague until about 1949 or so and there is debate regarding production numbers, etc...but if anyone knows of a resource I'd certainly appreciate it.

If there is no such thing, I may try to build a calculator that extrapolates an estimated production month. My purpose is to help us in date scripting our customers glass orders. In order to do that, I'd need a breakdown of the serial numbers by year and each production year starting and ending dates. If anyone knows of a resource for this info I'd appreciate it.

Thanks! Tyler </div></div>

Well,

For starters, almost every automaker serialed their cars by engine number, as that was the number accepted for titles and registrations of cars built prior to 12/31/55 in most, if not all states. Engines could have been built well in advance of the actual build date of the car itself. I would suspect also, that given that 1949 was a good 40 years or more before the adoption of JIT (Just in time) production of cars in the US, it's a good chance that fairly large inventories of glass were on hand in the warehouses of the various assembly plants, again perhaps as much as a month before build date. Thus, pre-1955 serial/engine numbers would work, as long as the engine is original to the particular car, it seems to me.

Art