Brake up grade

jonlabree

Could someone please tell me exactly what parts from what model car I need to get to upgrade my rear brakes? I really need exact directions, Please.

I have a 90 coupe with stock wheels. they are 15" alum.

I wish to up grade to 11" disks. Also do I need to drill out the spindels

to accomadate the calipers?

Thanks in advance.

JON...

jclabree@comcast.net

Guest Greg Ross

Have you upgraded your front brakes already, this mod. naturally has to come first.

And secondly, to my knowledge nobody has come up with yet an OEM set of parts to do the rear upgrade?

I posted about a month ago how to upgrade the front brakes to 11" to fit under the 15" rim using brakes from a newer grand prix, and you do have to drill.

The rear I'd of thought there would of been plenty of donor cars in the junkyard to find something to fit, but no luck. Only the E-body brakes will fit. I looked at part numbers for newer ebody cars, ie.. 93 Riviera. Both sides of the rear use the same part number caliper so it should be the same design as the Reatta, and in talking to Jim Finn he believes the 92 or newer Riviera had larger brakes. Or you could look up the rotos for the riviera at napaonline.com and they normally give the size of the rotors. Good luck

The size of rotors on the 93 Riviera are 10 15/16"

So it would be worth a trip to go to the junkyard and see if the calipers fit, and even if you want to buy new parts the junkyard prices are cheaper then the core charge you'd have to eat.

Guest EDBSO

A cheap easy and significant brake upgrade is to install carbon metallic fibre brake pads.

They will barely stop you going down the driveway on a cold winter morning but get just a hint of heat in them and they stop like crazy!!

I have a spare new set for the rears of an 96 Riviera that was sold to the insurance company after being hit by a truck.

Guest Greg Ross

Went through GM Parts Direct searches last night and confirmed the following; The rear suspension knuckle that the wheel bearing, caliper mounting bracket etc bolt to, Is the same on the '91 Reatta and the the '93 Riv ('88-'90 have a different PN for the Knuckle) perhaps Jim can advise whether there's actually any difference? and what the difference migt be withthe Riv. Emergency brake cable since the Caliper looks quite different!

From there you would require from a 93 Riviera, L & R Calipers W/ pads, Caliper Mounting Brackets and Rotors. Napa show them as 10-1/16"

If you're buying new without core trade-ins it's going to be a $7-$800. DIY Project.

• 3 months later...

Took off the 12" brakes and put on the 11" to fit the stock 15" wheels, brakes rub on the spokes, would need some ceaning up to possibly make work, did not catch when I put on quickly to test before putting on the 12" brakes.