PHANTOM STALLING PROBLEM

I HAVE AN 89 AND HAVE A STRANGE PROBLEM. ONCE IN A GREAT WHILE, JUST AFTER STARTING MY CAR, IT WILL BEGIN TO IDLE VERY ROUGH. IT SOUNDS LIKE ITS EITHER RUNNING OUT OF GAS. OR NOT GETTING ENOUGH AIR. IT WILL CHOKE AND SPUTTER FOR A FEW SECONDS THEN CUT OUT COMPLETELY. I THEN RESTART THE CAR AND REV IT A FEW TIMES AND IT WILL RUN FINE. THIS ONLY HAPPENS INTERMITTENTLY NOT EVERY TIME I START IT. HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD THIS PROBLEM?

I'm not too bright when it comes to ECM (repairs in general). What exactly is an ECM & how much $. My car has the same problem, except sometimes I smell gas when I turn the car off. Anyway, ECM sounds expensive. Please advise what price range I'm looking at so I don't get taken for a ride!

I JUST SPOKE WITH A GM MECHANIC AND HE TOLD ME THAT THE ELECTRONIC CONTROL MODULE MIGHT BE THE PROBLEM. HE ALSO SAID THAT THERE MIGHT BE A FEW OTHER THINGS THAT WOULD CAUSE THE STALLING PROBLEM. THE ECM IS THE MOST EXPENSIVE SOLUTION. THE OTHER MIGHT NOT BE. I CAN'T REMEMBER WHAT THE OTHER POSSIBLE PROBLEM PARTS WERE CALLED. IF YOU GO TO A REPUTABLE GM SERVICE DEPT. YOU SHOULD GET STRAIGHT ANSWERS. HOPE THIS HELPS.

Had the same problem about 1 month ago. My car always ran like a champ, but one day stalled out 20 times or so in ten miles. I disconneted the battery for 10 min. or so and started it back up. Ran like a charm again. I don't know why, but anytime I have a problem with my car, I always do that to reset any computer defaults. Have not had a problem since. Good Luck on a cheap fix.

Well, my beast is in the shop right now. Seems the problem only occurrs once the car has reached 72 degrees. The problem? Most likely a bad ignition module. Oh good... rolleyes.gif<BR>Right now, my husband is on his way to a used autoparts store to find the part. $300 (Canadian funds) for a new one, $100 for a used. Lets hope they have what I'm looking for & it cures the problem.

Oops, not a bad ICM but a bad ECM. The portion of the module which insulates the electronic components was all bubbled & brown. We found the car runs great until it reaches 72 degeees celsius. When the module is put under a garden hose to keep it cool the problem doesn't exist. My new ECM will be arriving tomorrow. My mechanic is 85% sure this is the problem. I hope so...