Drake

Drake Six automobile Do any exist? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you<P>[This message has been edited by Milligan R (edited 03-06-2001).]<BR>

<p>[ 02-28-2002: Message edited by: Milligan R ]

Drake Six (US) 1922<P>Drake Motor & Tire Mfg. Co., Knoxville, Tenn<BR>The Drake Six only appeared in prototype and was projected in two touring models which<BR>were to sell at $2,195 and $1,195 respectively.<P>That?s the only information I can come up with. Hope it helps.

I have some extra information about the Drake automobile. The company's advertising slogan was "Built Like the Rock of Gibraltar". The main body style was a 5 seater touring car with a choice of artillery wood or disc wheels. The cars were<BR>described as having "attractive lines", and a distinctive radiator design. The Six was powered by a Herschell-Spillmann Model 11000<BR>engine.<BR>One special 7 seater touring car was built for a silent-screen movie actress (name unknown). The car was included in factory adevertising. Approximately 10-15 Sixes were built before the company failed.<BR>The company also planned to produce its own<BR>brand of Drake Tyres as well. The tyre business never started due to a lack of finance. The cars built were all equipped with Firestone tyres. The companu also built a prototype truck and tractor, but production of these vehicles also did not occur.<P>I hope that this information is of use.

I live about 40 minutes from Knoxville - as far as any of our East TN Region members are aware - no Drakes are in existant. There was an excellent 2 or 3 page article by Keith Marvin in "Antique Automobile" during 1985 - may be the July/August issue - but definitely 1985 - I looked it up last year for an interested party. There are photos and records of the Drake in the McClung Collection at the Knox County Public Library.

• 11 years later...
Guest Graham Clayton

A special Six was manufactured for silent film actress Mildred Reardon. The hood was of polished aluminium, and appeared to have 6 portholes in two rows of three along each side. An original photo of this car was on sale at eBay:

http://tinyurl.com/94s24d9