Help

mcoy57

Hi folk

I could use some of the expertise from this site, Memorial day weekend I'm going down to N.C. with a side kick whom bought a 55 chevy we plan on towing it back with my 20034wd 4.7 v-8 dakota (on a dolly ) can you tell me the weight of the 55 hard top trucks towing cap is 6100lbs never been down south of D.C. how's the driving ?

thanks in advance for your help

mcoy57 New Hampshire

Guest BillP

Hello McCoy,

Most here either hire transport or use enclosed trailers. I use the latter, mainly because I tow a lot and I can stow my extra stuff in the trailer.

To your questions, I guess a 55 Chevy plus a dolly would be a couple tons towing weight, in any event it would be below your 6100 pound limit. My main concern with a dolly, especially over long distance at highway speed would be no brakes on the towed load (chevy on the dolly).

If it's a rental dolly, make very sure the tires and hitch are in excellent shape, I once saw a dolly come loose from a motor coach and it and the Pinto it was towing were totalled in the median because of a failed hitch. Grease your hitch ball. Make sure your lights work, including the rental harness that goes on the back of the Chevy.

Stay clear of DC and other big cities for that matter. South of DC is no different from north of, as far as driving is concerned. Just stay with traffic and drive alert. Give yourself plenty of room to stop.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest stude8

What part of NC? If you come down I85 or I95 it won't be bad, but if you are going west of Ashville the hills get pretty steep especially if you were going I81 to Knoxville and then east over I40. That is a low gear hill east bound and a thriller down hill west bound. Stude8