do K & N filters really make a difference?

I've read bits & pieces about K & N Air & Oil filters. But I wonder, do they really make a difference in performance?<P>I've heard of suggestions such as exaust, computer chips, etc. The only "non GM" part I've replaced on my 1990 is a Gator Back belt. And honestly, I can't tell a difference.<P>The guy I work with (he's in his 50's and knows cars pretty well) Thinks I'm nuts for replacing anything in my car with someting that was not intended for it.<P>His belief is that if GM wanted more performance out of the Reatta, they would have made that way themselves. And that any deviation from the original is just asking for trouble. Let me know what you think.

Go for it with the K & N filter. I have a 91 coupe with it. The exhaust has a Dynamax muffler and where the cat converter used to be a flow thru resonator. Looks innocent enough anyway.<BR>Mileage improved, performance only slightly but has a very mellow yet very tasteful ballsy sound. Truly fits the profile of the car.

Purchased new K&N for use in my '88 Reatta Coupe...without ANY modifications, used K&N High-Flow Air Filter #33-2022 about $30. at your local Advance Auto and replaces the stock GM filter without any modifications, just pop it in! Has a "million mile K&N warranty" if my car will only last that long!!

No, they don't. Their effect on increased horsepower is negligible. The K&N air filter is mostly a feel-good add-on for people who like to take care of their cars, and nothing more.