'64 300 V8 engine colors - help please

Guest karlde

Guest karlde

I am restoring a 1964 Buick Skylark Convertible. All I can find in the Buick Assembly Manual is engine color - aluminum and air cleaner - black.<P>How about intake manifold, exhaust manifold, valve covers<P>Thanks

In 1964 your engine should be Apple Green (Buick Green). This includes intake, valve covers etc. Do not paint your brackets green!<BR>Your exhaust manifold, air cleaner, and power steering unit is black. Above all make sure you have documentation to prove your colors

Guest COMPACTBC

I believe the HEADS on the '64 300 cu.in. engine are aluminum and thus are already silver and should NOT be painted. cool.gif

Did all 64 300s have aluminum heads and intake manifolds? I thought there were two versions: The base two barrel all iron model and the hipo version which was a hi compression aluminum head and 4bbl manifold engine-If infact there were two different offerings were there two differnt paint schemes?

Guest karlde

Thanks for all your help.

I have had 2 64 Skylarks with the 300 V8 and 2 bbl carbs. They both had aluminum heads. It is my understanding that all 64s had aluminum heads. In '65 they went with cast iron heads.

All 1964 300's had aluminum heads and intake manifold. The cast iron units were 65-67. As to painting the motor, the block, heads, intake manifold, valve covers and timing cover were painted aluminum. Air cleaner was black and likely semi-gloss. Alternator and PS pump brackets were likley natural aluminum color but painting may be necessary now as they get stained with age and grease.

Water pump and crank pulleys were semi gloss like the air cleaner. Intake brackets like the kickdown and dashpot switch were likely natural color and would look good painted detailers gray.

I recently got some aluminum paint from C.A.R.S. that was supposed to be the correct aluminum color but all I got was Plasticote engine enamel that I could have gotten cheaper from Autozone. What may look good is the Duplicolor Hi heat engine paint that they make in aluminum. Just my 2 cents on this.

Hope this helps,

Mark