How to install pincweld seal

Jyrki

I've finished painting the roof of my 46 Roadmaster, and now it's time to start installing the window seals. Now anybody who has done this before: would you install the pinchweld seal onto the reveal molding first, and then the molding/seal assembly to the windshield opening, or would you rather install the rubber seal onto the opening (pinchweld, and finally the molding onto the seal? The rear window is the same. I'd rather do it once, the right way.<BR>Jyrki

Guest Straight eight

The 48-49 shop manual says "Fill the reveal molding retainers with 3-M Rubber adhesive in the section which fits over the pinch-weld flange. Install retainers in their original positions over pinch-weld flange, then apply a bead of 3-M Rubber adhesive completely around windshield opening and also in the valley and edges of the molding retainers<BR>Carefully clean old sealing compound from glass channel and install channel over the pinchweld flange, pressing it firmly and evenly into place. Apply mild liquid soap in the grooves of channel to aid in installation of windshield glass and channel filter strip.<BR>Holding the glass first insert the straight end of glass into the groove of the windshild glass channel at the center division, then lower the glass flat against the balance of the channel.<BR>With a putty knife carefully work the lip of the w/s glass channel over the edge of the glass. Start at the bottom and working towards the side then up the side and across the top to finish the installation.<P>Using a sealing gun and 3M rubber adhesive, seal under the extended outer lip of the rubber channel ONLY IN THE AREA DIRECTLY BELOW THE WINDSHIELD WIPER SHAFT AND WASHER TUBE; also apply a ribbon of sealer to the rubber channel around the circumference of the wiper shaft and washer tube.<P>Insert lower end of glass filler strip thru the eye of Replacer J2727 (??) Starting at center division, insert end of tool into groove of glass channel and push along to "zipper" the filler strip into place. Repeat with upper end of of filler strip to complete the installation.<P><BR>Using a sealing gun apply a 1/8th inch bead of 3-M Rubber adhesive along the edge of windshield glass channel where the reveal molding contacts the cowl.<P>The installation of reveal molding is the reverse of removal except that the UPPER SECTION MOLDING should be installed first. Adjust clips in place molding in position and slide into place<P>On the back glass it warns the glass is tempered safety place, not laminated. If glass is scratched it may shatter.<P>When applying 3-M Auto Body Sealer before installation of glass and rubber channel apply extra sealer at the lower corners to insure watertight joints in the area where water collects."<P>Hope this helps,<P>Cliff wink.gif" border="0

Thanks Cliff - you went thru a lot of typing. However I think your 49 is different from earlier, 42-48 years. For instance, I don't have any retainer clips. In addition, the glass channel seal is a separate rubber part, and the glass, together with the seal around it, is pushed, from inside car, against the pinchweld seal, and is held in place by the inside garnish molding. A 49 doesn't have a division bar windshield anymore, and seems to have different type of seals.<BR>Anyway you have a few helpful tips here. Thanks for your trouble,<BR>Jyrki<BR>P.S. I didn't know that 3M was around as early as the 40's !