'64-'66 Skylark Convertible

skylarkvert

Thanks for the link. I've put a bid in, but still haven't made the reserve price. Looks like a clean car, exactly what I'm looking for, except it has no A/C -- guess for the right price I can find original parts to install it.

I missed out on another super clean original 64 with A/C for $11,500 which seems reasonable, but again, this one has no air.

By the way, are you the seller?

Thanks again,

Yancy

Guest John Chapman

Oh, man...

Refit of a factory A/C system is a real [censored]... that's assuming that you can find all the parts. I'd considered that for my '65 but it just ain't worth it...

That's sure a purty little red car, though!

Cheers,

JMC

I have a wonderful 66 convertible, with complete new interior,including doors, seats, front and rear arm rest and boot, retro fitted A/C, 340 4v V8 motor. Automatic transmission, Engine recently detailed and painted, Tilt wheel, New GM wood grain steering wheel. Vehicle was re-painted 2 years ago and is very nice looking, 15 inch rally wheels, Am/Fm radio.

If interested I can have a CD sent to you of pictures.

Mark Lob

Toll free 866-823-8642

E-mail is working sparodically right now, so I do not trust it for incoming messages

Guest John Chapman

Keith,

I'm not sure about that. This was just about the period that all makes were phasing out the dealer-installed units in favor of the factory integrated units. I've never seen it offered in my '65 literature.

JMC

John--try the 65 accesory glove box book for the listing on the floor mounted 'cool pack' A/C. I believe the "cool pack" style unit was still being used in 65. Think that's where it is. It would probably be hard to find as I recall it has Buick identification on it somewhere--like a tri shield on the control panel.

Skylarkvert--where in AZ are you located.

No. I know of a few but they aren't for sale. There is a local BCA Chapter in Phoenix. They used to meet at Childress Buick. You might call there to see when the next meeting is scheduled. They also used to alternate between Coury/Mesa and Childress Phx. My guess is early April will be the next meeting.

There have been quite a few Special/Skylark/GS convertibles in Phoenix over the years so keep your eyes open. Grab the weekly used car freebie and occasionally check the Auto Trader or other $ publication.

Do you have any contact info for the Phoenix chapter club? Their web page has expired.

I was hoping to talk with some of them for leads around the southwest, although for the right car, distance doesn't matter -- after all a road trip with a Skylark convertible is what I would be buying it for!

If you go to the main BCA webpage, there's quite a bit of Buick info.

www.buickclub.org

The Tucson and Phoenix Contact people are

VALLEY OF THE SUN (FC)

Elden "Al" Snyder # 17408

6701 W. Pershing Ave.

Peoria, AZ 85381-5001

602-973-2629

SOUTHERN ARIZONA (FC)

Alex Chavez # 33597

1026 E Simmons St

Tucson AZ 85719-1637

520-465-2539

The 64 and 65 Skylarks will be very similar in styling/performance etc.

Similarly the 66/67 are very similar to each other.

For all 4 years, wheelbases and basic body structures are the same but exterior styling and interior appointments changed.

For example--64 seat belts optional

65 Front seat belts standard-rear optional

66 and 67 seat belts standard all front/rear seating positions.

Decide which year you like best looks/interior wise and then look until you find a good one. The box frame under the convertibles can trap dust and crud and rust from the inside out.

Great! Thanks for the info, I do especially like the '64-65 models, but if I found a '66 that met my requirements, I would be interested. I'm not too fond of the '67 front end and steering wheel. I really want a car that is as original as possible (such as color, options, etc).

About the box frame on the convertible, are there any specific spots to look for rust?

Thanks!

Box frame.

Anyplace where dirt/slush/snow can build up and work its way into the frame. The problem is that there was no paint or primer on the inside of the box frame. There were access holes all along it for various reasons. So, salt and crud goes up in there, can't get out, gets wet and starts working on all that nice unpainted metal.

I think the frames, other than wheelbase were the same design from 64-72.