1936 Chrysler 6 Cyl Rear Axle Hubs Stuck!

I can't seem to free my rear axle hubs from the axle shafts##@@! Am I doing this wrong? I removed the wheels and the main cotter pin and nut on the axle shaft. I am using a puller and applied heat. I can't get the hub to pop off the axle shaft taper. Can any one steer me with some first hand advice? Is there a trick to this? Any help is greatly appreciated! thanks, Tom

You are doing all the right things-just keep trying!!! I had the same problem with my 1928 Chrysler 72.I kept the puller pressure on, applied heat and then used a copper hammer to strike the end of the axle.All of a sudden the hub came off with a bang.Just stand clear!It will happen eventually.

Doug Mckay.

tlieblein.....I would advise you to reinstall the axle nut and run it down a few turns ( almost flush with the axle end ) before striking it with a hammer. When using a puller tighten it up real tight and strike it a good rap with a stout hammer. This process may take several renditions to achieve the desired effect. Be patient.

Harry's right. Leave the nut on the axle so the axle doesn't distort under all the pressure. Then, hit the end of the puller HARD with a big hammer-- a four-or five-pound sledge. Don't be afraid of it.

It takes more than a propane torch to heat the hub. You have to use a cutting torch on a low flame to get it hot enough.

When you put it back together, put a light coating of bearings grease ont he tapered end of the axle and on the keyway so it'll come off easier next time, and it'll keep the moisture out so it won't rust on.

JON