6 volt alternator

Guest tin knocker

Guest tin knocker

I have just finished installing a 6 volt alternator on my 37 Special. After fabricating a new mounting bracket and completing the one wire hookup I got in and pressed the starter. Nothing happened. All I got was a vibrating sound from the voltage regulator. My questions are, must something be done with the wires that were formerly on the generator? Must some changes be made in the wireing attached to the voltage regulator? Has anyone else who has done this had this problem? The car hasn't been driven for about 6 weeks and all the connections are tight and the battery is at full charge. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

One terminal on your old generator completed your starter circuit.To make it real easy for you,you might put a push-button on your dash to complete that circuit to ground and use it and the carb switch,or just use the push button.

Guest tin knocker

I would like to think the guys who responded to my post. Your advice was on the head. It started and ran fine, but I have to rev the engine a little to get the alternator to kick in. This is not a real problem since this happens as I get rolling in 1st gear. It has seemed to have developed a static tic on the AM portion of my radio but this may be unrelated. In reply to another query, I bought the alternator from J.C. Whitney. It is a 15 si Delco. It came with a 3/8 pulley, so I had to buy a 5/8 pulley for$13.oo. You may be better served by going to a local rebuilder who can show you different styles which would best fit your application and would have the correct pulley. It is not a problem for them to make 6 volt and you will be able to get free advice. I am satisfied with mine. The replies were right and my setup was lacking a ground so I took the ground off the regulator and and grounded it to the firewall. All that must be done is to run a #10 wire from the alternator to your charge indicator and then to your battery. The advice I recieved here has saved me a lot of work and headaches. Being a geezer, I am not overly computer literate but I think this Internet thing may catch on.

I have sold about 250, 6 volt alternators.You have to rev a bit to start them,as all they have to get them going is residual magnetism.You could have used your generator pulley on your alternator.I think you should ground your second wire with a push button,starter ring gears are expensive!