How to neutralize tinning flux?

Jyrki

I've been doing some bodywork on my 46 Buick, and have applied lead on several locations. I know the tinning flux contains acid to etch the steel, and should be washed away right after tinning. I always wash it away before or right after applying lead, but still the panels start rusting immediately, where the tinning flux had been applied, and the areas above that got affected by fumes. Somebody told me that washing off the remainders of flux is not enough, but you actually have to "kill" it. What do you guys use to "kill" or deactivate the tinning flux? <BR>Jyrki

Tinners Flux? r u talking about Tinners Solder (aka Tinners Paste) or Tinners acid (aka tinning acid). The tinners acid usually applied to only very rusty metal to begin with prior to Tinning with the Solder which is prior to applying the lead. a very light surface rusting will occur around the edges of the tinners SOLDER but it is only superficial. Make sure u r wiping it with a CLEAN rag. it requires ALOT of clean rags. If the piece u r leading is severely rusty to begin with then all of the tinners ACID in the world wont make it new again. Just do the best u can with it.

Your ARE tinning the area with Tinners Solder (Paste) before applying the lead????? Tinners SOlder does NOT contain acid.

I'm using a paste. However this is a European product called Bera-Fix, and it contains acid. I brush it on the panel, then heat it enough to make it bubble, and wipe with a clean rag to get a nice clean tinned surface. Then I begin applying lead over it. But surrounding the area, there's always some paste left, causing rapid rusting, even though I always try to wash it away after leading, before dressing back the lead with a body file.

Mix a solution of baking soda (2 or 3 tbs)<BR>to 1 qt water, mix, and apply to surface with a sponge or rag. thoroughly wash down area with this solution, and thoroughly dry it preferably with hot air drier or compressed air. dry sand area slightly, and apply a thin coat of self etching primer.