'53 Studebaker Indy Engine

Aaron HG

Hi, I'm new here.

I have wondered for many years where is the 1953 Stude Indy engine. It is a stock block, front accessory drive, four cams and fuel injected.

I read about this in a book called The Design and Development of the Indy Car purchased some time ago. The engine failed first time out but is really something to look at. I have not heard of this engine anywhere else and would love to know more.

There was the one built by Willie Uhlenhaupt?? that ran but didn't qualify and a few extra parts for a second engine. The runner is now owned and displayed at Summit Racing museum near Lincoln, NE. I was told. Don't know if they have a website with displays listed. Stude8

OK, I never was real good at names, I looked up the DOHC Studebaker V8 history tonight and the builder was Willie Utzman. Hop Up Magazine June, 1953 has a very good article with many photos of the DOHC engine. Utzman built the engine for car owner J. C. Agajanian starting in 1951. Design target was 370HP on methanol fuel at 7100RPM. The Studebaker block was chosen for its strength, the custom heads were cast at McCauley Foundry in Berkeley, CA. Oldsmobile rods were used with J. E. pistons at 12.8 to 1 compression. Stock Studebaker valves were used but altered in length to use Offenhauser locks & keepers. The cams were made by Bill Spaulding. Hilborn fuel injection and Scintilla Vertex magneto were used. This story was published before its Indy performance was known, Chuck Stevenson was to be the driver.

After its shortened racing life it eventually fell into the hands of Chris Banke a Studebaker engine enthusiast who suffered a serious injury working on a car and never completed restoring the engine to run again. At this time George Gallo informs me it is at the Speedway Motors owner Bill Smith collection in Lincoln, NE 68501-9896 (300 Speedway Circle). I scanned in a photo of the enigine from the Los Angeles Herald-Express news paper, it is attached above. Stude8

52 years ago is a long time for a foundry operation to survive in this economy. If you send me your address I can xerox copy the Hop Up article for you. Email me at "johns@lowrey.com" Stude8