66starfire 425 heads

i have a 1966 425 olds starfire motor it spun a bearing it came with the car when i got it can any one tell me how i can make sure it is a starfire motor and not a regular 425ci olds motor and can anyone tell me the difference between a starfire motor and a stock 425

and last help do they make a manifold with 3 carbs for the 425 motor

The engine was painted red, should have an engine unit # stamped on the front of the right side head with NxxxxxS to ID as a 10.5 compression 370 rated horse power. Should have factory dual exhaust with a left exhaust manifold with the letter S cast in it. Also has larger intake valves.

A 66 Olds 442 TriCarb manifold will fit your car.

Henry

Contrary to what most people think the 1966 Sfire did Not have the big valves that the 442 and Toro engines had...this can be checked in the factory manual where they show specs on the engines....The factory rated the 66 Sfire 425 at 375 HP...I believe the Sfire engines had a drill spot on a pad on the block left side front...looks like someone started to drill a hole there and stopped just as it made the beveled circle.....the Sfire 425's I have have this drill spot...The sfire had a slightly smaller dish in the piston than the regular 425's for a bit more compression. The sfire had a hotter cam than a regular 425 and could be cross referenced.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Contrary to what most people think the 1966 Sfire did Not have the big valves that the 442 and Toro engines had...this can be checked in the factory manual where they show specs on the engines....The factory rated the 66 Sfire 425 at 375 HP...I believe the Sfire engines had a drill spot on a pad on the block left side front...looks like someone started to drill a hole there and stopped just as it made the beveled circle.....the Sfire 425's I have have this drill spot...The sfire had a slightly smaller dish in the piston than the regular 425's for a bit more compression. The sfire had a hotter cam than a regular 425 and could be cross referenced. </div></div>

Just broke out my '66 parts books and you are right! Thanks for the correction.

Henry

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...