Bronze backed bearings

Guest PWN

Guest imported_PWN

I have a 22 Chandler that will likely need some rod bearings. Can you pop the existing bearing off (the big end and cap) and send them somewhere to be replaced. The crank journal appears fine.

3 of the 6 bearings are bronze backed and 3 are original babbit.

Any good companies in the southeast (Florida) that anyone knows of or anywhere for that matter?

All bearings look good except one that has worn to the bronze. Someone in the past put a part of leather between the bearing surfaces then shimmed the helll out of it.

The engine and cylinders, pistons look great. The car only has 10,000 miles on it total.

Thanks for the help.

Peter

Hi,

After having my crank ground locally, I had Paul's Rod And Bearing in Missouri re-babbit the rod and main inserts on our Packard Twin Six. The mains were semi-finished and a local shop did the line boring and installed the crank. The rod bearings are to a finished dimension.

Let me know, and I can dig out the address for Paul's and also get the costs.

Here's my e-mail address: gnbboudway@msn.com

Good luck,

Bill Boudway laugh.gif

Guest boettger

I've gone the same route as Bill on my 1930 DeSoto.

Crank locally ground, Babbitt poured in the Main Bronze Inserts by Northeast Auto Parts in Grand Rapids, MI then locally line bored. Assembly by me!

New Pistons made by Ross Racing Pistons. (About half the cost of Egge.

Guest Indiana_Truck

Thanks guys!

You have answered a question I was trying to think of. (And I thought I was nuts)

I have been looking for someone to do the babbit for me on my 1925 Indiana Truck but have had very little luck. This gives me another good option now but brings up another question.

My bearings have groves cut in them for the oil to get in. When do these groves get cut in this process and who should be the one that cuts them, the guy that pours or the guy that line bores it?

The little light at the end of the tunnel has started to glow just a bit. laugh.gif

Bob

Guest imported_Joe Kieliszek

Hello,

The grooves are usually cut after finish machining. I had the

bronze shells on the connecting rod bearings of my '11 Buick and

decided just to pour them as solid babbit. I used a flexible shaft

dremel to cut the oil grooves after I drilled out the old oil holes.

Thanks,

Joe Kieliszek wink.gif