Stromberg carb problem

Guest Dynaflo2

Guest Dynaflo2

Today, after taking the '51 on a 100 mile round trip I made a 20 minute stop and then had trouble starting the car again. I had to remove the breather and choke the carb with a cotton diaper I keep for polishing the stainless. Once it fired up, it acted like it still wanted to stall for about 10 seconds (I had the carb wide open and the engine was revving at about fast idle) and when it finally did kick in, it shot gasoline out through the vent hole. The carb was rebuilt only a couple thousand miles ago. Any ideas? Thanks!

Guest tin knocker

I had the same problem on my 37. It almost drove me nuts and I tried everything without success. Finally I removed the plug in the side of the carb that is there for checking fuel level in the bowl. Gasoline poured out. After taking off the top of the carb I found that the floats had both leaked and filled with gas. I soldered the cracks and had no further trouble. I related this to a Buick collector and he mentioned that I could have also have dipped it in gas tank sealer. Your situation sounds so simular to mine that I think it would be worth a look.

You might also check the exhaust butterfly valve. If this is stuck in the closed position,you will overheat the carb.This will result in a vapor lock which makes you have to choke the engine to get cool fuel into the carb. Even if the valve is open,Buicks will sometimes vapor lock. If the valve is functioning,and it happens again, tyr pouring some cold water on the fuel pump. If that doesn't work, check to see if the fuel lines are in the proper place ,as they will sometime cause a problem if they are not clamped to the sheet metal where they should be.There is always the court of last resort( electric fuel pump)<p>[ 05-28-2002: Message edited by: The Old Guy ]