Buick Hubcaps, what is it?

Nick_S

Somebody told me these were off a 1960 Buick, but I havent seen any wheels newer than 53 that would accept this style cap - it's of 1941 buick construction, but I am at a loss as to what year and model it is actually for. Any "late-model" guru's out there know this one?

Guest my3buicks

without looking yet they have to be 1960 or up as they use the Tri-shield - they are not mid-60's such as 67 - I am guessing around 1963.

Guest my3buicks

since Bruces source shows 60 as the first year we need to find out what year was the last application for it - it is pictured on a 63 LeSabre in "The Buick - A Complete History"

70Electra has previously pointed out the standard hubcap for the 1960 LeSabre did not use the tri-shield design, but retained the earlier style with BUICK in block lettering across the face.

The hubcap in the photo is for 1961 at the earliest, but I have seen similar hubcaps used on LeSabre cars for many years thereafter.

Brian, I'm guessing this IS a 1960 but to better describe, it is not a full faced hubcap. it measures about 10" in diameter and as stated, is designed like a 41 Buick cap. I think it's strange, but I havent seen these on any cars that I remember. Did they have a sort of extended trim ring in addition to them, or just a standard lip ring?

Guest my3buicks

these were bare bones no frills caps - no trim rings, you got these base if no optional wheel cover was ordered. As a general rule (note I said as a general rule) these caps were found on the bottom of the line, base, el cheapo's, stripped cars. In my edition of "THE BUICK A Complete History"(3rd edition) on page 279 it pictures a 63 LeSabre running in the Mobile ecomnomy run with these caps on. You will also note the body colored wheels which you normally saw with these caps.