vibration-37 Dodge

Guest mspringsteen

Guest mspringsteen

In doing research on Ujoints I found that the type used is a ball and trunion. In this the drive shaft has a pin that is driven through the drive shaft and has to be centered almost perfectly. I am guessing that if the pin is not centered that could cause a vibration. The car is undergoing some body work, but when it is done I will have this checked. Does anyone have any knowledge of this as a possible cause or solution to the problem?

Guest imported_woodwheels

Your general thinking and nomenclature is correct. The pin in a Detroit Ball and Trunion MUST be dead center. the end centering bottons be a very good match for eachother and the needle bearings all machine clean, no pits and the same dimension. Equally important is the condition of the housing and the trueness of the propeller shaft. The housing is the most difficult part to come by if you are looking for your car to be a dependable and rewarding driver. Wear on the housing needs to be jubged by the fit of the 2 balls and the centering buttons in the housing. It is my experience that most used housings need replacing. A good firm but not forced fit is the rule of thumb. An alternative to the Detroit Ball and Trunion is a Split Yoke shaft. There are vendors that manufacture these and advertise in Hemmings. For about $450. you can have a much more satisfactory performance from your machine, at highway speed. Save the Ball and Trunion shaft and put it in your car when you go to a meet where absolute authenticity is needed.

I have a 1936 Dodge....had a terrible vibration...it was as you described. The complete part was $312 Canadian dollars (about $250 US). Unless you are going to show it as "original"...i would put the new drive shaft in as "woodwheels" mentioned. I wish i had that info before i spent the money....as it would never need replaced probably "ever" again.....The pin you are allowed +/- .006" difference in the placement of it.....and to get it pressed out and back in for me took a 30 ton hydraulic press....don't heat the shaft to get it out/in - you will probably lose! Can order parts from Dodge City Truck parts at http://www.antiquedodgeparts.com/universal.htm#37

If the vibration is pretty bad, there are two ball and trunions - front and rear.....part number Q-121 for each complete assembly....again $250 US each plus the labor to put them in.

Good luck.

Lucky Don