Wanted AC canister oil filter XA-1

Guest DougPegg

Guest DougPegg

Measures 8" H X 3 3/4" diameter. Inlet and outlets in centre top and centre bottom. For my 1928 Oakland roadster. Any leads are appreciated. Thanks.

Believe it or not but last year I bought 6 XA5 filters (the correct original filters for my car)on ebay. At a good price too. You can substitute a C 1/2 like was used on 30's and 40's Chrysler products. It is larger in diameter ans shorter but the fittings ara perfect match. Another suggestion is to refurbish an old plugged one and just use it for show. As they are only partial flow they really do not filter much. I have driven my Pontiac daily driver over 300,000 miles without an oil filter at all. I just joined the lines together so they would not get lost or damaged)with a fitting that was blocked. I recently got five dozen Chrysler filters and have started using them and I find that after about a thousand miles they are plugged and they do not filter any longer (when new they get hot when the oil is circulating through them but about nine hundred miles and the filter stays cold). I just change my oil every three thousand miles and have never had any trouble.

Just a dumb idea- If you have an older drop-in canister, pre-spin on oil filter car used as a daily driver it is easy to get plumbing for a modern spin-on. It by-passes/replaces it but could be easily replaced if you have to "show" the car for originality. I haven't looked for a by-pass in ages but they must still be obtainable seeing that there are so many high performance and racing uses where moving the oil filter location is necessary.

59_chevy_passes.gif