Hydraulic lifters?

tomucen

Dear Listers,<P>does my '79 Buick with the V8 301 Pontiac Engine have hydraulic (valve) lifters? I sort of doubt it. Here's the problem: when started cold, no (valve) knocking sounds. The warmer she gets, the louder the knocks. My theory is that there are no hydraulic lifters and the knock appears due to metal extending under heat which means I'll have to adjust the valves (play) manually. Comments?

I doubt it is the water pump making the noise - to be sure disconnect the belts that drive the pump and start the car. If is still does it it is not the pump.

I owned a '79 LeSabre with the 301 Pontiac V-8 for 13 years. It sometimes would develop a clicking noise that I first thought was lifters. But it turned out to be the thin metal "flex plate" on the flywheel, which sometimes comes loose and flops against the housing or the torque converter. It sounds just like a noisy lifter, but if you crawl under the car while it is running, you can isolate the noise, and the flex plate noise obviously came from underneath the car.<P>Pete Phillips<BR>Ector, Texas<BR>BCA #7338