HPOF Question

Guest 70 Electra

Guest 70 Electra

I'm confused about how HPOF works for vehicles that are original in some areas, but not in others. Perhaps it has been repainted, or engine compartment detailed, yet overall remains unrestored and original.

Does an owner "declare" which specific areas of his car (interior, engine, paint, etc) he wishes to have HPOF judged? If so, how are these areas identified and communicated to AACA? Or does the judging team look at everything and make their own assessment as to what is original?

If a car is deemed "unoriginal" by judges in some categories, is an award still provided for the areas that ARE original?

Thanks,

In regards to HPOF, the AACA Judging manual states:

"A vehicle may be entirely ?original? or it may have certain ?original? features such as paint, chassis, upholstery, engine compartment, etc., that are essentially as delivered.

The manual also states:

"The duties of the HPOF Evaluation Teams shall be to evaluate the vehicles entered in the HPOF category for the first time to make certain they meet the qualifications of that class regarding age of the vehicle, the various items the owner claims to be original, and the condition of these items and the vehicle in general. Since there is no specific number of items required to be original on an HPOF vehicle, evaluation must be based on a number of factors requiring good judgment."

"These vehicles will not be judged. They will be recognized at the awards ceremony and will receive an exhibition award. A certification plaque will be presented to each vehicle upon acceptance into the HPOF category."

The judging manual shows an example of the HPOF card which the owners fills out and states what portions of the car is original. Next to the owners notations are blocks where the HPOF judge certifies that they are original.

The online version of the AACA judging manual can be found on this web site. The URL for the manual is:

http://www.aaca.org/judging/judgesmanual.pdf

Hope this helps.

Guest 70 Electra

Thanks for the clarification. That (and the online forms) answer most of my questions. I'm still a bit confused by the statement....

[color:\\"red\\"]" Since there is no specific number of items required to be original on an HPOF vehicle, evaluation must be based on a number of factors requiring good judgment."

This sounds like the judges can bounce you if they decide there is not enough original content on the car.

Two final questions:

1.If you receive the HPOF certification, does the award/certificate specify what areas were deemed original by the judges and which were not?

2. Am I correct in understanding the judging is based on authenticity only? What about condition or cleanliness? (I've heard that you don't need to get out the Q-tips and toothpicks for HPOF.)

Similar questions have been raised on the DF in the past in regards to HPOF.

Dave Berg, the current VP, Technical Matters, gave the following information in an earlier thread on similar questions:

"First off the normal up keep of a vehicle should not in itself prevent an HPOF Certification. However a certain amount of modifications will. The judging team has a formula that they use to check the vehicles. I do not know the exact formula though I am sure that some touch up paint and an exhaust pipe would not be nearly as critical as say a restoration or replacement of the interior fabric. The concept is as follows: Would someone who was restoring a similar vehicle find the HPOF vehicle significantly valuable as aid in their correct restoration. At least this is how I understand it. Basically the vehicle does not need to be 100% original in all areas, though it needs to be significantly original. My belief is if the major components are original, ie the body/paint, interior/fabric. engine/driveline and undercarriage then you are going to be just fine. Simply look at your vehicle and try to determine just what percentage of your vehicle is truly original. If you can come up with a significant percentage (guessing say 80 -85 %) then I think you will have no difficulty. I would encourage you to take the vehicle to a National Meet and give it a try. The worst that can happen is you make a lot of new friends, see some great cars and probably learn a great deal about the HPOF class and just what the cars in it look like."

The best source of info would probably be to contact the Chairman of HPOF:

Marlene Layton

124 Wilderness Camp Rd.

White, Ga 30184

(770) 386-0622

• 1 month later...
Guest Oldcarman

I believe that you may specify which areas of your vehicle are original ie:interior,paint,motor,etc. The vehilce must be at least a certain percent (60% ? ) to qualify for hpof.

Purchase the 2004 AACA Judges rule book for all pertinent information.

Guest my3buicks

Greg, how about I answer the question this way - you got it!!!!!!! I got it with my 69 which is very original, and I believe yours is even more so than mine.