Serious electrical problem STILL!

CReichert

Hi-

Can someone please help me troubleshooting my still dead car? Nothing happens when I try to start except I hear brake pump running. Headlight, power windows, door locks and keyless entry,seats, map lights and vanity lights all work. Nothing else works (including high-beams, fog, courtesy lights and chime, as well as flashing security light and all of dash).

To date I have replaced:

Battery

CPS

BCM

ECM

To date I have checked or tried:

different ignition key

battery cables

chassis ground

BCM to ground

all fuses

starter solenoid

jumped the relay to courtesy lights and they worked

Could someone please check this out on your car:

1) voltage at CPS fuse

2) on BCM connector (sorry but this requires you to take out the glovebox) :

a)C-10 on leftmost connector to ground (D-15)

b)C-15 to ground

c)C-16 to ground

FYI- C is the top row on the connector and D is the bottom row

I know I am asking much of you to do this, but I really would appreciate your help. Thanks in advance. I'll send you some homemade biscotti!

Thanks,

Connie R

Connie,

four questions:

1) first, what year is your Reatta?

2) have you had a reputable mechanic or dealership troubleshoot this problem?

3) has someone installed an aftermarket alarm?

4) have you disconnected the factory alarm relay?

it really sounds alarm related, as the items which are not working are the items which are connected to the alarm system.

all GM alarm systems are controlled by the key being inserted in the driver's door to unlock the door.

Mike

Hi Mike-

1) 1990

2) No

3) No aftermarket alarm

4) No- I will try the alarm relay.

It just occurred to me that I had the Buick dealer replace my driver's side lock in April of this year. I had part of my key stuck in the door for several years and finally had them work on it. It couldn't be pulled out so I'm not sure what they did but I still use the same key I always had. I wonder if this is has something to do with it...

Thanks for your suggestions. I'll take a look at the alarm relay and post again.

Connie

Connie,

we just had a customer in New York have absolutely the same problem as you are having, and the problem turned out to be the ignition switch. his was a 1991 model, which would have the same switch as your 1990.

apparently there were several wires which were chafed, and they weren't "reading" the chip in the key properly, and wouldn't allow the car to start.

this was the first time we had ever seen a failure of the newer style VATS (Vehicle Anti-Theft System) key, but these cars are getting old, and its hard to comprehend how many times the key has been turned in the ignition since 1990.

he had his ignition switch replaced for less than $100 by a locksmith. this is not a job you would want to do yourself.

Mike

Just as a heads up, the VATS (Passkey) contacts ARN'T in the ignition switch. The ignition switch is on the lower part of the steering column, operated by a link and a rack and pinion thingy. The part you stick your key in is simply a lock tumbler, and this is where the Passkey contacts are.

And yes, it can be done without a lot of fuss. Not a walk in the park, but can be done. A lockplate compressor is necessary. These can be rented.

My advice? Disconnect (cut?) the two thin white wires under the steering column cover that go up to the tumbler contacts, and solder a resistor in the circuit that's the same value as the chip in the key. This fools the VATS, and you don't have to open up the column.