455 Heads/Intake question

I recently bought a 455 out of an electra and had it rebuilt. From what i can tell this engine was completely original when i got it. After putting the engine in we noticed something about the intake and the heads. It looks as though there's a hole on each side of the heads, right above the intake. It's about 2-3 inches in length and about 1/8 of inch in width. It appears to suck in air, from what i can gather it appears that this is sucking air from the engine compartment into the intake/heads for some kind of cold air intake? I'm not sure what this is, as it also makes a chirping noise when idling. going down the road you can't hear it. Engine runs great otherwise, I would just like to know what this does, or if the intake is the wrong intake. Thanks.<P>Kyle

The heads and intake are from different years. The heads are 71 up and the holes are<BR> for the AIR system. The 71 up manifold has ports that cover them. The early intake has no provision for that set up. You will either have to replace the intake with a later unit ,or plug the holes in the heads. I had the same problem years ago, and solved the problem by tapping the holes and screwing in brass screws and cutting them <BR>off flush with the head surface<BR> frown.gif" border="0frown.gif" border="0

I put an Edelbrock Aluminum intake on my 71 Riviera. It would cover up any air holes you had. The only difference is that it has an extra water temp sender hole that you may need to plug up. Also the throttle return spring holder will need to be ground down a little so that it will fit next to the larger intake runner. A simple mod.

How safe is it to run it as is with the holes open? It just seems to be pushing out hot air onto the intake and there's carbon or burnt paint particles on the valve covers and intake. Runs fine though, i haven't noticed a problem. I just had the engine put in and got it back friday night. I figure i'll buy a new intake in a month or so. Which brings me to the next question, does T/A performance make a manifold for the 455 that will fit under a stock hood? I don't want to do anything with the hood. From what i heard the intakes out of Poston's aren't all that great (i might be wrong, just what i heard). Engine is nearly all stock, its got a more radical cam, more so than the stage 1 cam. I noticed T/A has one intake in their magazine but it appears to be a high rise manifold which wouldn't fit under the hood (i might be wrong here too), and also requires some kind of porting to be done with the heads (not for sure here either)? Any advice would be great. I don't have a problem buying a new intake as long as it doesn't require me to do lots of other stuff to the engine as well. So recommendations are great.<P>Kyle

Tomsriv has the solution. the Edelbrock performer is a direct replacment for the stock manifold but is lighter and makes more HP. The Edelbrock B4B makes a little more HP than the Performer ,but it moves the carb forward and may require some linkage changes. The B4B has not been in production for some time, so the Performer is the easy answer.The TA intake is a single plane unit,and is more suitable for racing than<BR> street use.The Poston S divider has not been able to show any HP gain in numerous Dyno tests, so I would steer clear of it. <P>[ 04-22-2002: Message edited by: The Old Guy ]<p>[ 04-22-2002: Message edited by: The Old Guy ]

The Old Guy, you're from swartz creek? I'm fairly close to there, Clio, between montrose and mt morris. Funny story about my car, 1972 Skylark, built in Flint, sent to virgina, and a family went down there visiting and ended up buying it and bringing it back to Flint. It's back home. I just put a '72 455 in it, came stock with a 350-2. Family before me replaced the engine with a 350 out of an older (76-77) electra. Also painted the car Porsche Red. Very nice job with the paint, unfortunately it sat outside for a few years and was hit by a branch in a storm, broke the back window and bent the trim around it pretty bad. Slight bubbling of paint in areas (my next project after i get the engine working the way it should). Unfortunately as asked in the original post, the heads/intake don't match up, and the place that installed the engine for me (i didn't have the equipment to do so) had to cut my radiator fan shroud up really bad to get it to work with the 455, which i plan to order a replacement for today. Intake is the second thing i need. also, my car doesn't have under hood insulation, i'm wondering if the 455 would get hot enough to warp or damage my hood/paint? I appreciate everyone's input, seems the performer is the product i'll be getting. thanks a lot. Does anyone know where i can get a throttle linkage bracket (intake bracket) for the 455? Mine doesn't quite fit, its too tall.<P>Kyle