Erratic/High Oil Pressure

Blue90

Hello to all you Reatta intellectuals. Yes I mean it positively. I'm amazed at the quality and amount of information that is exchanged at this site. In fact it was this site that convinced me to buy my first Reatta.

I've owned a '90 Maui Blue Coupe for a couple of months now, although I've been a frequenter of the site for several months; and a Reatta craver for even more years. My mechanical and electrical experience is meager at best, but I'm willing to try anything feasible. The kind of information I've already learned from this site has helped me in caring for Baby Blue.

But to my subject.

I thought I'd start off trying to help with what information was passed on to me.

The second trip my wife and I took, from Portland to Astoria (about 90 miles), I noticed the oil pressure gauge "blipping" to High for barely a second, then back to Normal, then "blipping" to High again. I go to a private garage in the neighborhood. The manager owns an '87 Riviera. He remembered a bulletin about this problem. I've never heard anyone on the site smirk.gifdiscuss this but here's the info I received from my shop.

It's from ALLDATA 8.20, 2004.

Bulletin 90-6D-6

Date August'91

Ref. No. 90-233-6D

Corp. Ref. No. 118303

SUBJECT:

OIL PRESSURE GAGE ERRATIC.....

MODELS AFFECTED:

1986-90 RIVIERA 1988-90 REATTA

......replace oil pressure sensor with part number 3532954.

I hope this helps someone.

I registered with Barney.

Brake tests numbers coming soon, Wally.

Thanks for all your dedication. Your quick and easy answers to complex questions are invaluable.

Stanley

Stanley, welcome. You are correct. This is by far the best board that's out there. As a car and a computer fan, I visit a lot of discussion sites. This one is the one I judge all others. Everyone here is very helpful and knowledgeable. If you need any help with your new Reatta purchase, just ask. I bet someone here knows the answer. Again, welcome.

Replace the switch, [sensor]. This has been discussed many times. On the passenger side of car. On the motor near the firewall. A special tool should be used but usually a pair of channel lock pliars will do in a pinch. ken

• 2 weeks later...