Rubber molding replacement/90 conv.

RGILL

Having decided to replace the top on my 90 convertible, I also need to replace the rubber window moldings on both sides as they leak now and are not going to get better with just a new top. With that in mind, are there any new or repo moldings out there for sale? Also, what is the going price for a new top (vinyl/glass)installed? Thanks for all the help you all have been in the past.

tops shrink considerably as they age. if your top gaskets are visible when the top is up, your top needs replacement.

the top manufacturer we use cuts the top about one inch longer in every dimension, so the top covers the gaskets, and eliminates almost all leaks. the gaskets were designed for a secondary line of defense for leaks, not primary. that's the job of the top.

another advantage of the longer cut of the new top is in the rear. the new top almost touches the rear deck, and doesn't have the "flood pants" appearance of the old top being too short.

top installation costs can vary greatly by region. here in Phoenix, my upholstery shop charges $200 for installation of a top I bring to them. on the other end of the scale, we have a customer in California (orange county) who was charged $3300 (insurance was paying) for a shop to purchase and install a top. living in a labor-cheap state (Arizona), it always amazes me what some folks pay for things. we had a customer from Massachusetts call us last month, and was all excited because he was getting a deal on getting his headliner replaced. it was only $350!

thankfully, it is cheaper in most areas. what we have found that works best for our customers is this: they buy the top from us first, and then take the top (and their car) to local upholstery shops in their area, letting the shop know they are ready to do this TODAY. the average price has been about $350-$400, even on the east coast. it also works well to do this in the fall and winter, when an upholstery shop's work drops off greatly in snow/cold weather states.

we have sold well over one hundred tops for Reattas, and the only vinyl color we have ever sold is white, and only for Maui blue cars. every one of the other tops has been Haartz cloth, which look 1000% better than the vinyl. the Haartz cloth is available in over seventy colors.

information about the tops is posted on our web site. just click on "convertible tops". we would also be glad to send a color sample book to you, so you can see all the color choices for yourself.

remanufacturing the top gaskets is at the top of our 2005 "to do" list.

Mike, buickreattaparts.com