'54 fuel pump exchange?

My fule pump appears to be non-functional and the car is 50 miles from my house. Anybody knw of a quick fix/modern substitute/part exchange easier to make work than ordering one from a Buick specialty house and waiting for a shipment via mail? I'd like to get the car home asap, without towing it.

Guest scott mich bca # 6619

Asuming the old pump is still connected, I would install an electric pump.<P>I mounted mine just under the driver's seat.<P>Simply cut the steel line and put the electric pump in series with the line.<P>Install a filter ahead of it, and a fuel regulator after it.<P>There are several types of electric pumps.<BR>The type of pump you want is the type that will allow the fuel to flow thru it, even when you turn the electric pump off. This would be when you finaly replace the old diaphram pump. You keep the electric one installed, just turn it off, and keep it as a spare.<P>I think is is called a rotary pump.<P>They are available from NAPA. Make sure you get the proper voltage.<P>Scott Mich<BR>Assistant Director<BR>Chicagoland Chapter<BR>1955-76C<BR>1959 Olds SS-88