1925 Dodge - brakes

FMF

I recently purchased a 1925 DB sedan - two weeks ago.

In my opinion, the brake pedal is getting way too close to the floorboard.

How do I go about adjusting the brakes?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to respond!

I'd like to tackle this job on Saturday.

Regards

Guest imported_RAH

FMF,

That procedure is way too complex to answer in this forum. All you need to know is available in a book called the Mechanics Instruction Manual. It is a reprint of a '27 Dodge Brothers bit of info. Copies of which can be obtained from several sources listed in the Dodge Brothers Club newsletter. Obviously before any 'adjustment' is performed a thorough inspection of the condition of the lining would be in order. Good Luck.

Rodger "Dodger" Hartley

• 6 years later...

This may be a couple of years late, however the foot brake is connected by a long shaft to a fulcrum near the back, if you swap the two rods over on this fulcrum, you get different leverage. I put mine back incorrectly after a 100% restoration and the pedal went near the floor, changed them, and OK

Thanks for your response even though the question was asked 6 years ago. Adjusting the brakes was a real learning experience. When I bought the car, it was set up with the service brakes being on the inside of the drum and the parking brake was on the outside. That was easy to switch. Then I had to have a wheel puller made which allowed me to remove the rear wheels. The adjustment of the service brake was the real challenge. I could not find any wrench narrow enough to get between the wood spokes and then be able to turn the large adjustment nut (as is shown in the DB service manual). I had to do the adjustment from the rear of each wheel using a large screw driver as a lever.

The service brake now engages when the pedal goes to about 1" -- 1-1/2" from the floor.

Best Regards

I am redoing my shoes. I have a good picture of how they look cleaned up and put back on, if anyone is interested. I wish I could post it here on the forum.

Frank

FOlsen, do you have Budd or wooden spoke wheels?

If wooden, what tool did you use to make the final adjustment (between the spokes as shown in the DB service manual)?

The wrench I have was too large to use between the spokes. I could get it between the spokes but no way able to make any adjustment.

Edited by FMF (see edit history)

FMF, A socket on a ratchet will work one or two clicks at a time, but I just reach around the front side of the tire and adjust from there. If the thread and nut are clean and lubed, you can nearly turn the nut with your fingers if you collapse the band with your other hand.

Of course, this is on my rig. DB's were famous for multiple changes.

Good Luck

Frank