29 Pontiac woes

jake29

My 29 has a cable running from the ignition switch to the transmission. It is meant to be an antitheft devise. You are supposed to be able to hotwire the car but unable to put it in gear. The key requires one full turn in order to de-acdtivate this lockout devise. The ignition switch has been very stiff from the day I bought it, about seven years ago. Recently it refused to turn more than one quarter turn. I have been dosing it with penetrating oil to no avail. Both ends of this cable appear to be crimped on with no provisions for removing it for a proper lube or replacement. Is removing the top cover of the transmission the best way to get at this cable, or is there some easier way to get it to co-operate?

Tin Indian are you out there?

Thanks for any and all help

jake29

Are you sure you have a Pontiac? I have owned at least one of each year from 26 to 31 and 4 29's and have never seen one with a transmission lock. The parts book lists a lock for Oakland but not for Pontiac. Perhaps someone in the past has substituted sn Oakland transmission for your original???. It would certainly fit without much trouble.

My personal thought would be to remove the top of the transmission complete with the lock assemble and see if you couldn't then remove the whole cable mechanism.

Thanks for the help Tinindian, I do appreciate it.

I'm quoting from page five of the original owners manual that came with my '29 Pontiac.

" Unlocking and Locking the Car"

The Pontiac Six is equipped with the Delco-Remy Dual lock or combined ignition and transmission lock, which will prevent theft in the great majority of instances, providing the car is actually locked. It is suprising to note from reports of insurance companies how many automobiles equiped with locks are stolen due to carelessness on the part of the owner in leaving them unlocked.

The surest way to prevent this regrettable experience is to lock the car before you leave the seat

To Operate Lock:

1. Insert key

2. Turn key one full turn clockwise to on position. This unlocks transmission and turns on ignition.

3.To stop engine turn key 1/4 turn counter-clockwise to off position.

4. To lock transmission and to remove key, turn key one full turn counter-clockwise to lock position.

The second owner bought this car with about 17,000 miles on it and I'm the third owner. It really looks like original equipment to me. The other end of the lock is an integral part of the ignition switch as far as I can tell.

Judging from how hard it was from the day I bought it to turn the ignition switch, it's always been a bear. I can easily imagine that these locks would have been yanked fairly soon in the cars lives. Or possibly this is an early part of the big six run and the lock was dropped right away.

It is serial number P646566 and is titled as a 1929, but I read where you said many had no official year attached to them until later.

The funny thing about this "lock" is that both ends are crimped to the tranny and ignition, no threaded parts that I can see. Wouldn't that be unusual for any 1929 car? Also I have looked fairly hard for a method to lubricate it and haven't found anything yet, although I haven't broken down and remove the rest of the floorboard, just the very bottom piece.

Thanks again for the help,Tinindian, I guess pulling the top off the tranny is going to be the only way to get at this thing!

Jake29

Very interesting. I just looked in my operator instruction books. I thought I had them all covered but I find that I am missing the book for series 6-29 prior to serial number 590,001. It seems funny that the lock is not mentioned in my parts or shop manuals either.

However we have to realize that there are many anomolies in old cars. For example my Pontiac has Oldsmobile front fenders and this is the way it came from the factory.

How about posting your question on the POCI site. Another idea would be to post under Studebaker. They had several years with cable locks on the transmissions. Perhaps they have solved similar problems to yours.

Just a question are your hood louvrs horizontal or vertical?

Best of luck.

Have been trying to get on POCI sight for weeks,now. They don't seem to be able to recognize my password which is supposedly my member number.

This Pontiac has vertical hood louvers & wood spoke wheels.

I have two copies of the instructions for care and operation, eighth edition, Effective Car Number 410,101-P.

If you want to look at one I will gladly send one to you if you want to send an address.

I'm at e-mail: jakesho@comcast.net.

Thanks again for all your help, Tinindian, I'm truly grateful!

Jake29

You don't need a password or anything to post on their tech page. www.poci.org It looks like we are almost neighbours. I drive through your city three or four times a year. Sur hope you get your shifter working.

• 2 months later...

My '28 Pontiac has the same type of transmission lock; however, a previous owner removed the cable/assembly and installed (rigged) a new ignition setup. According to my shop manual, remove the transmission cover, place the car in 2nd gear and remove the taper pin to remove the cable. Perhaps there is something fouling the enguaging mechanism, preventing you from turning the key.

Ian