Paint questions

hOPELess

Hello, I've got a '73 Opel GT that I took down to metal. I added a body kit (air dam, ground effects, flared fenders). After finishing the bodywork I sanded the metal with dry 220, wiped it with prep rubbed it dry. On that I applied a etching primer and then a coat of K200. Thats where I am now. I plan to apply another coat of the high build and some flat black and start blocking it with 1000.

I plan to paint the car with BC/CC Dodge Viper pearl blue in PPG. Should I put down a grey primer over the K200? I have a gallon of epoxy primer that I'm told is compatible with PPG. Would this be a good choice? Should I sand the grey primer before shooting the basecoat?

I plan to spray 3 coats of base and clear confused.gif. Should the basecoat be wet sanded before laying on the CC?

Guest Oldsman

Hopeless,

I've always been advised to use dark primers under dark top coats, and light primers under light top coats.

It sounds like you've spent alot of time on body work and priming at this point. I'd recommend taking that can of epoxy primer into the paint store and having them tell you if it will be compatible or not.

Sand the final primer and wipe everything down with a silicone remover/primer cleaner to avoid "fish-eyes" before you start applying on your basecoats.

You might want to switch to a 400 or 600 grit for your primer wet-sanding, thus saving time and a few dollars on sandpaper. Save the 1000 grit for the clearcoats.

Add a few squirts of dishwashing detergent to your water in your wetsand bucket and it will act as a lubricant between the sandpapaer and primer. Let the paper soak in the water for a few minutes to soften before sanding, and keep plenty of water on the surface as you sand to remove any loose grit.

Wrap the sandpaper around a rubber squeege to sand with, removing finger gouges in the primer. Wipe the area down with paper toweling every once in a while to check your progress.

Don't sand the base coats ever! Your final Viper blue pearl metallic will look like a glossy blue primer when you've finished.

When you sand basecoats, it moves the paint particles as well as flattens them, removing their reflective qualitites. The results will be shiny from the clearcoats, but there will not be any depth or fidelity to the paint.

The key is to keep the work area as clean and dust free as you can, as well as a clean gun, strained paint and plenty of light. Wet your floor down and ground the car to the floor with a piece of copper wire to remove any static.

Good luck!

JEK