Rookie needs advice

surfkurf

Hello all,<BR>I'm restoring my 72 and need advice. I replaced my 2 barrel with a 4. I also had to rebuild my Diff. It has the stock 2.56 and I noticed that the 4 barrel came with a 2.73 for a non-GS. Should I make the change while it's apart, or stick with the 2.56?<P>I use the car for a family with young kids, so I'm not dragging. Although, I do enjoy that off the line power when alone. Don't want a screaming engine on the highway though.<P>What do you think?<P>Also, where can I get a Choke Thermostat for this same car? I prefer new.<P>Also, want to replace the quarters. Again, not a show car, but I want good job. I see some for $139 new and some for $212. The NOS ones are out of hand. How do you know which one to go with. Price doesn't always mean best.<P>Thanks for the help!<BR>Joe

What you might want to consider, if you already haven't bought parts for the rear, is looking for a complete unit. The 2.56 and the 4 bbl might not work too well off the line, though it will give you better mileage on the highway.<BR>A good option might be to try and find a 2.93 rear axle from a 71 or 72 Sportwagon. I have a couple of cars with this ratio and it gives a little more off the line without sacrificing top end and mileage. Once you get over a 3.23 the top end suffers a bit. Just my thoughts.<BR>As to the 1/4's NOS parts have great quality, but will be pricey. Check with your body man and see what he thinks of the repro stuff as he will be one that has to install them. Saving money on the part, but paying more to have them installed properly may equal the same.<BR>Hope this helps,<BR>Mark