Battery cables

The negative battery cable would naturally go to the negative battry post. However I realize that this does not answer your question as to Positive or Negative ground. I know that my 26 and 28 were negative ground but other than that I forget.

Studebakers for many years had a positive ground. I am not sure at what point this practice ended (possibly the 50's?). If your car is one of the ones with a positive ground your positive cable would have connected to some point on the frame and your negative cable to the starter. If you connect the cables in reverse your AMP gauge will show you have a discharge when in fact you have a positive charge.

If you are using off the shelf new battery cables than that is your problem. You need to have custom made cables to get the right length and size cable with the correct size terminal connections on the end. Some welding supply companies can make custom battery cables. Another thing to keep in mind you might need to ?re-polarize? your generator if you have been running the car very long with the battery cables reversed.

In case there is still some question this car is absolutely positive ground. I have heard about this re-polarizing of the generator before. Is it true you just short a battery across the terminals of the generator? Sounds scary.

Thanks for the info., The battery cables are hooked up positive ground now.The amp guage reads right now.Now I am replacing the light bulbs, the tailights have power along with the parking lights?(those little flashlight looking bulbs above the main bulb), but only one headlight seems to have power to the main bulb.I took the bulb out of the working headlight and tried it in the other one and it didn't work.I need to replace the tailights also, there is one on now(not stock), the other side doesn'thave one,is this a six volt tailight then? I wonder if NAPA or other parts stores could help with these bulbs?

NAPA should be able to get them. One of these days I am going to look into replacing the bulbs in the taillights with high-intensity LEDs. I have to run the numbers but I bet I can about double the intensity of the lights without upping the current draw. I also think I can do it without any permanent mods to the lights.

Replacement bulbs are still available at most auto supply stores, or they can be found at stores that specialize in Ford Model A parts. Another source for original bulbs and the newer high intensity bulbs (in 6 volt), and other auto bulbs, is Restoration Supply in Reno, NV. Restoration Supply Company, 2060 Palisade Dr, Reno, NV 89509, (775) 825-5663

When using the new higher intensity bulbs in cars of the 20? and 30?s you need to be careful about the amount of heat these bulbs generate. The excess heat can crack your lenses and the light bucket. The headlights and taillights were not designed for the amount heat these new bulbs generate. If your reflectors in the light buckets are restored and polished your lights should be just fine with the original 6-volt bulbs.