1922 Cadillac : How to remove a wheel ?

ThomasBorchers

Hello !

At our 1922 Cadillac Town Car I have to remove one rear wheel. But I am asking me how... I removed the small hub cap, and a ring at the hub. Then I could pull out something but I am not sure what it is. Looks like the axle or so. Behind this the is a large nut. Does this nut hold the wheel ?

How can I remove the wheel correctly ?

Thanks for your help

Tom

Guest imported_oldmitchell

Tom, I have never worked on a 22 Caddy, but it sounds like you have what is known as a floating rear axle. If you remove the large nut you should be able to pull the wheel off the rear axle tube. You might want to use a torque wrench to check torque of the nut before you remove it so you can tighten it to the same specs.

Guest DeSoto Frank

Thomas,

Is it possible to take a j-peg of the axle & hub (cap removed) and post it?

Looking at the end of the axle & hub: if there is a key-way & key that lock the axle & hub together (and prevent the axle from spinning inside the hub), then your car very likely has tapered rear axle shafts, and will require some sort of puller.

Pullers for rear wheels from this period frequently were a cast-iron cap, which threaded onto the rear hub in place of the decorative hub cap, then a bolt through the center was tightened against the end of the axle shaft, to force the hub off of the axle....

Old Mitchell mentioned "floating" rear axles...these are still used in heavy trucks, as well as some older expensive cars...in such an axle, the rear hub is held to the axle tube by a bearing retaining nut & washer, similar to the front wheel bearings, but the nut usually looks like a large ring, with notches cut into the face for a spanner...the axle shaft itself is somehow "indexed" with the hub (either by splines or bolts) to lock the hub to the shaft.

Usually the axle shaft has a center hole that is drilled & tapped to thread a bolt into, acting as a "handle" to pull the axle shaft out of the hub & housing...

Once the axle shaft is out of the way, removal of the nut & washer allows the wheel & hub to be carefully pulled of the axle housing...

Hopefully a Cadillac expert will surface and offer definitive information...

Thomas,

I think you have a full floating diffrential. Are there six nuts around a hub flange? (around the hub cap) If there are you can remove the rear wheel by removing the six nuts from around the rear hub flange, and then pull the hub and the axel out of the housing. There should be a gasket between the wheel andthe flange. The rear wheel will be easly removed at that point.

Dan

• 2 weeks later...

Hello and thank you all for your postings.

I am sorry that I didn't answer but I was very busy the last days.

In the meantime I solved the problem by myself but without to remove the wheel but I have to know it for the future. When I have a bit time I will take a photo of the hub.

Kind regards

Tom