studebaker champion

Guest stude8

Why don't you just save a lot of grief and go to Farm & Fleet and get the correct size 6V battery for the car???

What ever your reason to change to 12v is a big job here, the generator won't work properly first of all, all the light bulbs will burn out, the gauges and fuel tank sender won't work properly or burn also. Then the starter motor will only last a few weeks and give trouble, also it is a positive ground car so if you want to put a 12v radio in it it won't work either. If you don't understand what you are suggesting here you shouldn't be starting this kind of a job. Just get the right battery for it, don't use modern 12volt cables, they have to be #2 or heavier to give correct performance. Remember, 6 volts won WWII! Stude8

I can second what Stude8 has said. And I can recommend the Optima 6 volt battery. It is an excellent battery, and powers my '47 Cadillac without problem. I kept the system as it was originally and have had very little problem with it. A battery tender is really helpful if you don't drive it all the time too. I do not have any trouble starting the car, even after letting it sit for a week or so. Give it some thought. Then if you really want to convert to 12 volt, there are plenty of sources that step you through the process. Good luck!

Guest Awini

dear shishu

where are you located? why do u want to change to 12V? i have a 30 Commander in delhi with the original 6V electrics, although i have put in an 8 volt battery in it, if u cant find a 6 volt battery u can hack a local 12v battry into 8 or 6 volts as u desire, bulbs can be got from motorcycle and scooter suppliers,or they can be made quite cheaply in areas like karol bagh and kashmere gate in delhi, i had 20 bulbs made last year for my lagonda.let me know if i can help u in any way, but i do hope you retain the original 6v.