'65 Wildcat - Replacing Heater Core

65_wcat

My heater core finally went. I found antifreeze on the interior mat (luckily it wasn't the carpet) and leaking from the engine side. Hoses are tight so I'm pretty sure it's the core.

Anyone ever replace one on a '65 Wildcat? How hard is it? The service manual says to remove the fender. However, I think the hood hinge is bolted to the fenders as well. Is there any other way???

Thanks.

Greg

BCA#38869

I have only done it on my 65 Skylark, I don't know what the manual said, but there was one bolt almost unreachable, I could only loosen it 1/2 turn at a time. You cannot cheat by bending or thinking you can slip this puppy in, you must be able to remove the entire cover against the firewall. I went through hell but got it in without taking the fender off. My car does not have air conditioning either!! Don't delay on your repair, when mine went the hoses needed to be replaced so I just bypassed it. Well, lots of rust comes out every time I turn on the heater. Also, don't get a rebuild, get a new one. I have heard rebuilds fail in about 2 years. Just my 2 cents.