RUBBER WINDSHIELD & REAR WINDOW MOLDINGS

Steves Corvettes

Steve,

the only way to replace the rubber moldings around the front and rear glass is to replace the glass. the moldings are bonded to the glass immediately after the glass is made.

we have a very good relationship with Pilkington Glass (they purchased L-O-F) and we could perhaps twist their arm to get the molding for the windshield seperately. however, herein lies the problem:

most glass technicians are clueless about pulling a windshield without breaking it. after all, aren't they usually pulling a windshield because it is cracked or broken? if we sold you the new molding, and your windshield was broken trying to remove it, who is reponsible? the glass companies make it clear up front they will not be responsible for any breakage. you will get your new molding, but it will be on a new windshield. wink.gif

by the way, the rear glass is no longer available; but there might be a few still out the somewhere.

Mike

At one time JC Whitney sold a product called liquid rubber. It is no longer available. So I experimented and came up with something of my own. It has been holding up quite well for a couple of months now on a Riviera and I suspect that it will hold-up nice for several years before requiring re-coating. It will not repair deep cracks or gouges but with a little skill it will make moderatly weathered windshield molding look like new. The molding has to be clean and free of dirt and wax build-up. It is best to mask so that the coating dosen't get on other surfaces. I used an acid brush to put it on and never tried spraying so I don't know how well that will work. Light wet sanding and re-coating may or may not help depending on the situation.

Guest Greg Ross

Although I have not tried this option I think it <span style="font-weight: bold">should</span> work!

Paint Supply Houses carry Vinyl Paint, I used this years ago to refinish a Motor Cycle Seat. That Seat saw daily exposure for several years, one season it was outdoors full time and still looks Ok-(1986 Suzuki 650 Single-a Stump Puller!)

The surface must be clean, the recommendation was to swab and clean with Rubbing Alcohol, I think Saheins' suggestion of light sanding would also be required if there is any peeling. There are also Vinyl Repair Kits that could be used for filling any cracks or voids before overcoating. I used a portable sprayer, the kind with the propellant bottle that's replaceable. Auto Paint Supply Stores should have all of the above.

For the 18,000 or so Reattas still out there we should come up with a refinish process, or does the Antique Auto Crowd have a process for refinishing Rubber Parts? Anybody know?

I replaced Front and Back Glass a couple of years ago so I'm ok for a while.